Green living ideas are soaring in popularity for several reasons. For starters, it is obvious that these Earth friendly solutions can help the environment, and best of they will save you money.
It seems odd now to think about how wasteful many traditional energy practices have been in the past. At one time gas guzzling cars were the norm, and people gave little thought to filling up their gas tanks as often as they liked. Gas was cheap and no one had really given any consideration to what was happening to the climate or the ozone layer. Even home energy bills were relatively cheap even though there was little being done to promote energy efficient homes at the time.
Now we understand that green living ideas are our key to creating a better future for both our families and our planet. This has meant rethinking the way that we live and learning to be more conservation minded in our daily habits. It also means learning how to appreciate and harness renewable energy sources.
Here are some of the most useful tips that center on green living ideas that make real sense; and help you save dollars and cents.
Home composting is one of green living ideas that is often overlooked. Purchase a kitchen composting bin to collect those scraps of food. Then you can regularly carry your kitchen scraps to an outside composter. This will generate fertilizer for your yard and garden that is free of pesticides and chemicals. Going organic with home compost saves money and is a perfect way to show your support for green living.
Of course you can always take your enthusiasm for green living by investing in a residential solar powered energy system or construct a home wind turbine. These ideas frequently involve an initial investment that can cost you thousands of dollars up front if you are going to purchase one of the larger solar powered systems for your home.
The biggest thing to remember is that the costs for solar power systems increase substantially depending on how much of your home you are going to convert to this sustainable energy source. A little planning can help you keep costs well within your budget.
While solar powered energy systems can definitely save you money you can use the following ideas to help trim the initial cost that may be required. A little modification and updating of your windows and doors for instance can save you big dollars when you are finally ready to have your home solar panels installed.
If you want to begin your new green lifestyle with smaller steps try these ideas for starters.
- Change out the old incandescent lights and replace them with efficient CFL bulbs.
- Check your windows for air leaks and cracks that could be costing you energy dollars that are draining your bank account. While you may need to breathe air your windows should be a bit more “breathless”. Calking around the sills can help save money. Installing double paned windows and using drapes to cover the exposed glass can also cut energy costs. Energy leaks at windows not only cost you money the wasted energy creates extra consumer demands that are ultimately harmful for the environment.
- Check and replace leaking seals on your doors if air leaks are detected. There are many of these home improvement products that can quickly be attached to doors to eliminate unnecessary air exchange.
- Keep your home thermostats set on 68 or lower during the cool months of the year. This is healthier for you and it is one of the easiest green living ideas to initiate immediately.
- Have your HVAC system checked by an expert so you can make sure that it is functioning at optimum capacity.
These are a few tips that show green living ideas can be as inexpensive as they are beneficial. Remember that any solar power system (or other renewable energy option) you choose is going to save you money in the long run. Now it’s up to you to get the ball rolling and show your support for a better world.
Article Source: EzineArticles.com wrote by Nicole Roberts