Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/content/82/10789382/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/core/includes.php on line 88
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/content/82/10789382/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/services/sharethis.php on line 47
Now that we are in the 21st century, we start experiencing the effects of global warming, climate change and the increasing problems which concerns our environment. These environmental problems can’t be put to a stop completely. What we could do is to lessen them and delay their ill effects to the best of our abilities. Unless we act today, environmental issues would eventually start piling up until such time that we could no longer figure out which one to address first. This is not just on the interest of a few, not just on our leaders but this is a dilemma that every person in the world should be concerned about. Since we couldn’t alter the situation altogether, we could start with small, meaningful steps to save the environment inside our home and our workplace.
Nearly everyone spend most of their time inside the work area. As such, this is the best place to begin with our endeavors about “going green”. However, before we could actually exert all our efforts for a greener working environment, we need to fully grasp the idea as to why we have to do it. If it is still unclear to you up to now or for any member of the team, it s suggested that a “talk” or at least a short discussion for that matter be carried out. We could get the expertise of an environmentalist or any authority regarding that issue to educate us further. Thus, we come up with the first idea!
- COMMIT TO “GOING GREEN” Turning your office green involves having the commitment to create an eco friendly workplace. It is not on a per project basis. It is not simply a series of tasks that needs to be completed. It is a permanent and continuous adherence to doing environment friendly practices in the office. You could go further by developing programs which aims to promote a green office surrounding.
- CONSIDER CARPOOLING AND OTHER OPTIONS One of the best ways to literally “go” green is to consider carpooling. It has numerous benefits. You and an office worker or a friend will be able to save fuel and help lessen the harmful gases released in the environment even before reaching the office. Having the right mindset in going green plus actually kicking off to an ideal start through carpooling is simply a brilliant idea. You could also opt to commute. Take a train or a bus whichever you think would be best. Another great alternative would be to ride a bicycle or better yet, walk. Not only would you save a decent amount of cash but this will also enable you to exercise and keep your body healthy.
- THINK BRIGHT, SAVE ON LIGHTS If you have the liberty to do so, purchase lights for the office bearing the Energy Star label. Electrical fixtures and light bulbs with Energy Star utilize less energy and brighten the room with the same kind of radiance as that of a regular fluorescent. Make it a habit to turn off your lights when leaving the room or when you are not using a particular area of the work place. Little, modest acts like turning your lights off whenever possible could go a long way if done repeatedly.
Another smart idea regarding lights is to use natural lighting if it is viable. Take advantage of the brightness of a spring day. Tie your curtains neatly so that sunshine can get through. Pull up those blinds for a clear view of your desk near the window. It is a lovely way to commence the day by taking a glimpse at your windowpane and marvel at nature for a moment or two.
- TO PRINT OR NOT TO PRINT That is the question! Remember those memorable lines from the soliloquy of Shakespeare? Alter the verb and you come up with a variation such as this. It still holds true, we make decisions every single day. Meaningful yet seemingly trivial decisions such as printing a file’s hard copy or not gradually become important. We all know that papers are made by cutting trees down. If we are concerned with the environment, we would think twice on whether or not to use the printer. The same is true with using a copier. Let us all find ways to lessen our paper usage. It has a domino effect on Mother Nature much like any other environmental issues that we all have to face. Furthermore, recycle used paper by printing on the opposite side. It could be used for note taking, for drafts or scratch. The list could extend to various ways on saving up on paper and reusing them. Other forms such as glossy magazines, old catalogues, used brown envelopes, folders and more could all be recycled. So, keep in mind that going paperless is being part of going green. Don’t lose sight of our goal!
- TAKE CARE OF OFFICE EQUIPMENTS Computers, copiers, fax machines, printers and other electronic office equipments are not just the company’s responsibility. Each employee must be concerned enough to maximize its use. These equipments will work for us on a longer duration of time if we know how to use them properly. When you are not using them, turn them off. After a day’s work, do not just leave these equipments on a sleep mode because energy is still being used up. It will cost the company even more. Reduce bills and lengthen the life of your equipments by turning them off when you are not using them.
- UPHOLD THE 3R’S OF GOING GREEN: REDUCE, REUSE and RECYCLE There are countless ways that we could do in our workplace to reduce waste, reuse office supplies and recycle them. As mentioned in the preceding chapter, we need to commit ourselves to do everything we could towards an environment that is clean and truly green by supporting programs with this objective.
- MAINTAIN A “GOING GREEN” CHECKLIST Come up with a list of activities that needs to be done continually so that you will all be reminded from time to time about the objective of maintaining a green environment. It will also help to have someone to take the lead role. Assign people and work as a team to achieve an eco friendly workplace.
Source: EzineArticles.com wrote by Joyce G N